The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) and UNIDO the joint International Centre for Inclusive and Sustainable Industrial Development (IC‐ISID). IC-ISID worked to increase industrial competitiveness through technology upgradation, innovation, generation of jobs considering environment protection and access to energy. The Centre was established as a merger of two previously existing UNIDO Centres in India:
- The International Centre for Advancement of Manufacturing Technology (ICAMT)
- The UNIDO Centre for South-South Industrial Cooperation (UCSSIC)
IC-ISID aimed to strengthen the productivity and competitiveness of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in priority manufacturing sectors in India as well as in other developing countries.
- Strengthened technical capacity and manufacturing capability in the recipient developing countries, particularly in Least Developed Countries (LDCs), through facilitating transfer and adaptation of best Indian proven ISID industrial technology-led solutions; and
- Enhanced productivity and export growth of MSMEs in manufacturing industry of India through upgrading ISID industrial technology-led solutions in local MSMEs.
The project comprised the following key outputs: efficient and effective operations of IC-ISID; development of a 5-year operational framework; private sector participation in R&D, technology deployment and investment; and development and execution support for demand driven ISID relevant projects in India and in other developing countries. The main focus areas of the Centre were on:
- Support for the facilitation and execution of technical cooperation projects; and
- Advocacy and networking to promote ISID.
The main achievements of IC-ISID are:
- Project execution: Under the umbrella of IC-ISID, a total of 8 projects, funded by the Government of India, were executed in part (ongoing projects inherited at start of IC-ISID -2 projects) or in full (projects initiated and supported by IC-ISID). The projects supported include:
Projects for Indian manufacturing industries:
- Development and adoption of appropriate technologies for enhancing productivity in cement sector
- Development and adoption of appropriate technologies for enhancing productivity in pulp and paper sector
- Kanpur leather development project
- Development and adoption of appropriate technologies for enhancing productivity in Indian bicycle and bicycle parts industry
- Firm Level demonstrations of appropriate technology and productivity methods in paper industry
- National innovation and innovation systems survey
South South cooperation projects:
- Promotion of neem-derived biopesticides in West Africa
- Strengthening the technical service capabilities of the Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI) in collaboration with Kenya Subcontracting and Partnership Exchange Programme (SPX)
- IC-ISID contributed to awareness generation, promotion and advocacy for ISID through participation in various key events and initiatives, selected examples of which are:
- Participation in flagship events and global forums such as; FICCI DST R&D Summit 2020; Millennium Alliance Initiative (Innovation Conclave 2018); Launch of UNIDO’s Industrial Development Reports 2018 and 2020; ‘International Convention on Sustainable Trade and Standards’; BRICS E-commerce Training Workshop; CII’s ‘Smart Manufacturing Summits’ (2018, 2019 and 2020), and others, which were held during 2018-2020.
- Contributions to UNIDO Industrial Development Report (IDR) 2020, entitled “Industrializing in Digital Age”: IC-ISID compiled case studies of Indian organizations for UNIDO publication titled “Absorbing Advanced Digital Production Technologies to Foster Industrialization - Evidence from Case Studies in Developing Countries”.
- Contribution to the Building Back Business from Crisis (B3C) online knowledge and collaboration platform that aims to support MSMEs to restart, recover and revitalize business post COVID-19 lock down (www.b3cmsme.org).